Consultant – “Green finance”
CES is looking to recruit a new consultant to strengthen its team and grow the company’s business volume and reputation in the field of environmental and climate finance in (mostly) developing countries. S/he will be a green finance expert with particular expertise and experience in sustainable energy financing and climate finance, particularly in a development context.
Climate & Energy Solutions (CES) is a France-based advisory firm specialized in environmental finance, with a main focus on climate finance and financing low-carbon and climate-resilient programmes and projects. www.climate-energysolutions.com
CES primarily assists its clients in designing, financing or evaluating policies, programs or projects that aim to address climate change.
CES operates primarily in emerging, developing and transition countries, particularly Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. Its clients are predominantly multilateral or bilateral development or development finance institutions, but also leading private sector financial institutions.
While the ‘red thread’ is environmental finance, assignments have encompassed topics as diverse as the design a national climate fund for Kenya, feasibility and design studies for AFDB/AFD/EIB/KfW/NDF, energy efficiency and renewable energy financing schemes, the mid-term or ex-post evaluation of public programmes and projects for AFD/UNEP/Proparco, the preparation of Côte d’Ivoire and Cameroon’s INDCs for COP21, a study on the mobilisation of private climate finance by France’s public climate finance interventions under the OECD Research Collaborative project, and restructuring the National Electricity Fund of Madagascar.
Most of this work is conducted in partnership with larger firms, mostly from Western Europe. CES has developed a solid network of reputable firms.
CES was founded in 2012 by Jacquelin Ligot, a former development banker and head of EBRD’s energy efficiency and climate change team (2000-2008), and international expert in policy frameworks and financing issues related to infrastructure, sustainable energy, climate change, and municipal finance.
Description of the role
The successful candidate will be a project manager. S/he will be expected to manage multiple “green finance” projects, lead the development of junior staff, demonstrate thought leadership, and develop business with key clients.
Primary day-to-day duties
· Conduct qualitative and quantitative research, including literature reviews and background searches on a broad range of subjects related to sustainable energy and climate finance
· Collect data using various methods (e.g. desktop research, interviews, surveys) and analyse data gathered (e.g. policy, barrier and comparative analysis)
· Devise strategies and interventions based on situation analysis, best practice and client requirements
· Present findings in presentations and reports
· Represent CES at client-facing events and meetings
· Manage delivery of assignments and tasks
· Coordinate inputs from co-workers and external contractors (international and local consultants) to deliver our services on time and consistent with our quality standards
· Support tender preparation
· Keeping updated with knowledge
· Postgraduate degree – MBA, MA, MSc, PhD, with strong skills in finance and economics
· An outstanding academic and career record
· Sound knowledge and experience of energy efficiency, renewable energy, energy access and/or climate change sector
· Proven and recent experience with development and/or implementation and/or evaluation of international technical assistance projects
· Excellent interpersonal skills, empathetic and open
· Successful track record in financing sustainable energy projects, designing financing schemes for climate-related investments, assessing markets for climate-related investments
· Willingness to travel on assignments to Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe
· Strong oral and written English communication skills
· Highly conversant with Internet and office applications
· Able to structure and process qualitative and quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from them
· A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
· Significant relevant experience in Africa, Eastern Europe, CIS and Asia
· Fluency in another language (including French, and Spanish)
Our main office in Angers, France. Remote working possible if robust case.
Competitive. To be negotiated. CES has set up an employee bonus plan.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and cover letter (or email)(EN. or FR.) to email@example.com with subject line: “Consultant – “Green finance”.
Approaches from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.